‘The Barkly Region is a vast and beautiful part of the Territory and an important part of the NT journey, with Tennant Creek as a vibrant hub.’
The Barkly Regional Visitor Experience Master Plan was developed by TRC Tourism and Rick Murray from Middle Star in collaboration with a broad and diverse group of stakeholders. Together they identified a vision, opportunities for improving the visitor experience and new tourism initiatives across the region where local communities could engage in tourism. On Monday Minister for Tourism, Sport and Culture, Lauren Moss and Member for Barkly, Gerry McCarthy officially launched the Master Plan in Tennant Creek along with the Barkly Regional Council.
The key points within the Barkly Regional Visitor Experience Master Plan include:
- Developing the town of Tennant Creek as a vibrant hub
- Improving the visitor journey along the Stuart Highway
- Developing an exceptional Aboriginal cultural scene that is sustainable and culturally appropriate
- Enhancing existing and creating new bespoke events that celebrate the true characteristics of the Barkly region
- Conducting a review of accommodation options for travellers with the aim of diversifying offerings
- Establishing Tennant Creek as a training and development hub servicing regional businesses, organisations, communities and government agencies
- Exploring new visitor experiences such as private touring opportunities at sites including Helen Springs petroglyphs, Eldorado fossicking and mine site, and extending Binns Track as an epic 4WD journey.
Other Media Releases: